Thursday, January 19, 2012

Let There Be Cake

I have come to love the word "cake." The hard sounds of the consonants, the way it is associated with Marie Antoinette, all make it my ideal word. Not that I'm particularly into words. I can recall my English teachers fawning over words or writers emphasizing the shape of a letter. "The 'a' has a crooked spine," one said. Poetic but meaningless. However, the word "cake" does stir in me a sense of delight; whether it be the anticipation of a thick slice or the recollection of colored confetti on a birthday gateau; it never fails to please. In short, the word conjures up a girl, of whatever age, decked out in luxury. And isn't cake a luxury? Therefore, I find it befitting that mt first recepie should contain cake! Lemon Chiffon Cake (Makes one 7 inch cake.) From Martha Stewart Living 3/4 cups cake flour 1/4 tsp. baking soda 1/4 tsp. salt 3/4 cups plus one tbsp. sugar (divided) 3 large eggs 1/4 cup vegetable oil 1 tbsp. lemon juice 2 tbsp. lemon zest (4 lemons) 1/2 tsp. vanilla 1/3 cups water 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar Cake flour is important. I have been experimenting with them and the best ones can be found at Whole Foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment